Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 21:45:20 -0800
From:      "Kutulu" <kutulu@kutulu.org>
To:        "Peter Ong" <peter@haloflightleader.net>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Trying NT Hacks

From: "Peter Ong" <peter@haloflightleader.net>
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2001 6:39 PM

> I don't know what it is with some people.  I post my site here today
because
> I was wondering about why the initial page was gibberrish, and then I get
> crackers.  I finally get home, and I'm reviewing my log files, and I'm
> seeing some folks trying to use IIS/NT exploits on my FreeBSD machine.
It's
> infuriating.

I have some bad news for you.  Those hack attempts weren't because you
posted a URL here.  They were because you have a web server.  Put up a web
server on any IP, without so much as a DNS A record for the IP, and wait an
hour.  You'll have code red all over your logfiles.

It may or may not do much good, but try emailing the owners of some of the
IP's that hit you.  Odds are very very high that they are 'innocent' victims
running unpatched IIS servers that may not even know they're probing you.
And if they have any semblance of clue, they might fix it.

--K