Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 06:46:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LOCALBASE vs PREFIX

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Ade Lovett wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 08:48:19PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> > 	If we're designing a new system from scratch, I'd like to put in a vote
> > for getting ${X11BASE} out of /usr. Personally I would like to see
> > everything in /usr/local. I was playing around with some plans the other
> > day to try and make a system where most everything was mounted read only
> > and finally threw my hands up.
>
> To be honest, if we come out of this with nothing but a plan to
> kill having two locations to put stuff, wherever that place may be
> (/usr/local, /usr/packages, /usr/FreeBSD, etc..) then I believe we
> will have scored a big plus.
>
> Large programs (environments, even) such as GNOME and KDE really go
> a long way to showing up the /usr/{X11R6,local} anachronism for what
> it is.  It should go.  Replacing it with a full stowage system
> that works would be ideal.  Just having everything in /usr/packages/...
> would be a major step forward, imo.

	If you are looking for votes, I'm firmly for the
/usr/(pkg|package) instead of /usr/local for ports/packages.  I've been
following this thread, but I'm still not sure about where to put the X
stuff.

	On the one hand X kind of feels like it's in the base system
because when doing a fresh install you can select it without installing
the ports collection or going through the packages menu.  On the other
hand if you do an upgrade to an existing system that's done via the ports
system (usually).  I guess one idea I had would be to keep /usr/X11R6 but
not installing any thing but the X distro to it, forcing everything else
(including ports of gui programs) into $PREFIX.  One thing that bothers me
from time to time is figuring out where a port got installed to.  If it's
something for X sometimes it goes into /usr/X11R6 other times it goes into
/usr/local.  It would be nice if I could count on all port apps beside X
itself to install into $PREFIX, instead of $PREFIX or $X11BASE.

	Perhaps even make $X11BASE = $PREFIX/X11R6  ????

---
Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu
The Office Of Water Programs - CSU Sacramento