Date:      5 Feb 2001 17:28:29 -0800
From:      david@metalogik.com
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   java1.3.0 plugin Hotspot and classic issue

i have searched the archives and read many messages that say to
edit jre/lib/jvm.cfg so that it has -classic as the first line to fix many of the
inconsistent errors that occur when one tries to use the HotSpot client.
i have made this change as suggested.

i also updated my .java_wrapper files to use the linuxulator expr and sh.

from the command line i can run the SwingSet2 program wiht on problems at all.  a java -version reports:

java version "1.3.0"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
Blackdown-1.3.0-FCS)
Classic VM (build Blackdown-1.3.0-FCS, green threads, nojit)

i tried to load a simple swing applet
(http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/swingApplet.html)
and got inconsistent errors that all resulted in a browser lock-up.

i consulted the plugin130_01.trace file and saw that it appears to be using the HotSpot client despite my jvm.cfg!  see:

Java(TM) Plug-in: Version Blackdown-1.3.0-FCS  Oct-23-2000
Using JRE version 1.3.0 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

so i opened up the JavaPluginControlPanel and put -green and -classic
as options in the first tabbed pane.  no noticable change.

my theory is that my problems are all due to the HotSpot VM being used
instead of the classic VM.  how can force the classic VM to be used?
as i mentioned above, my jvm.cfg is being ignored as far as i can tell.

cheers,
    david j harding - david@metalogik.com
  metalogik industries