Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 2010 14:33:52 +0000
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with writing an UFS2 to iStore Storage System / can't  find block in cyl 0 / bad magic number

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz> wrote:
> I am not sure if -s must be given in 512 bytes sectors, I saw some HowTos
> with "-s 100G", but it didn't work in my setup with FreeBSD 7.2 (it may work
> on 8.0?) You can try both versions and you can try little smaller partition
> if it gives you an error.
> (I am not too experienced with gpart)
>
> Miroslav Lachman

I believe the size modifiers were added in 8.0 (they certainly work in
8.0). gpart in 8.0 can also calculate the start sector correctly,
without needing to specify it, and if you omit a size, uses the
maximum available. Makes things a lot easier!

Eg, these are equivalent:

gpart add -b 34 -s 20971519 -t freebsd-ufs -l MyLabel da0

gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -l MyLabel da0

(obviously, only if da0 has 20971519 sectors available and starts at sector 34).

Cheers

Tom