Date:      Tue, 6 Sep 2022 15:08:40 -0400
From:      Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, portmgr <portmgr@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS-UP: Upcoming move of WWW definitions in all ports

--34ocdczzbli7chos

On Tue, Sep 06, 2022 at 08:09:24PM +0200, Stefan Esser wrote:
> PortMgr has just accepted a change that has been in the making for some t=
ime:
>=20
> The move of the "WWW:" entries at the end of the ports' pkg-descr files i=
nto
> the ports' Makefiles in the form of "WWW=3D" definitions.
>=20
> The WWW lines will be put into the maintainer block, immediately following
> the MAINTAINER and COMMENT lines.
>=20
> If there is more than one WWW: line a pkg-descr file, one URL will be
> selected to be moved into the Makefile, the other URLs will get a label
> "See also:" instead of "WWW:".
>=20
> The following are examples taken from some port before and after the plan=
ned
> conversion:
>=20
-----
> libmspack is a portable library for some loosely related Microsoft compre=
ssion
> formats.
>=20
> WWW: https://www.cabextract.org.uk/libmspack/
> WWW: https://github.com/kyz/libmspack
-----
>=20
> This pkg-descr file would be converted to:
>=20
-----
> libmspack is a portable library for some loosely related Microsoft compre=
ssion
> formats.
>=20
> See also: https://github.com/kyz/libmspack
-----
>=20
> The WWW: entry that is deleted from pkg-descr will be moved into the Make=
file:
>=20
> MAINTAINER=3D	sunpoet@FreeBSD.org
> COMMENT=3D	Library for Microsoft compression formats
> WWW=3D		https://www.cabextract.org.uk/libmspack/
>=20
>=20
> There will be a total of 4 commits to the ports and docs repositories:
>=20
> 1) This update adds support for the WWW=3D field in Makefiles.
>    It is based on a patch submitted by tcberner in review D34979.
>=20
> 	https://reviews.freebsd.org/D36434
>=20
> 2) Documentation change for the English language version of the porter's
>    handbook.
>=20
> 	https://reviews.freebsd.org/D36369
>=20
> 3) Update of all ports' Makefiles to add the "WWW=3D" entry.
>=20
> 4) Update of all pkg-descr files to remove WWW: lines moved to the Makefi=
le.
>=20
>=20
> [...]

Hey Stefan,

How would this impact downstream forks of the FreeBSD ports tree (if
at all)? Will there be some transition time whereby the WWW line in
pkg-descr is still respected? If a port hasn't made the switch to the
Makefile-based format, would the port fail to build?

Thanks,

--=20
Shawn Webb
Cofounder / Security Engineer
HardenedBSD

https://git.hardenedbsd.org/hardenedbsd/pubkeys/-/raw/master/Shawn_Webb/03A=
4CBEBB82EA5A67D9F3853FF2E67A277F8E1FA.pub.asc

--34ocdczzbli7chos

--34ocdczzbli7chos--