Date:      Sun, 07 Feb 2021 19:19:19 -0500
From:      Adam Jimerson <vendion@gmail.com>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question on figuring out category for new port

--nextPart1672619.MsCH1bHPGx
From: Adam Jimerson <vendion@gmail.com>
To: Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org>
Cc: freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2021 19:19:01 -0500

> How is the blocking achieved ? Does it hook into the DNS lookups ?
> Does it parse webpages/javascript and detect patterns ? Does it
> use IP blacklists ?
>
> www sounds ok, or DNS, if it's DNS-based. net, if it uses IP blacklists.

This port is just a python wrapper around Brave browser's adblock library
which just looks like is uses rulesets similar to what Adblock Plus, Ublock
Origin and other such tools use. I doubt that it does any DNS lookups (which
is why I didn't consider that category), and Qutebrowser added this as a
dependency to be more flexible than their current host based filtering.