Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:45:58 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Nikola Lecic <nlecic@EUnet.yu>
Subject:   Re: misc questions re setting LANG

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 05:04:20AM +0200, Nikola Lecic wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 23:30:48 -0700
> Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org> wrote:
>
> > 	Does anybody know howto set my env to iso.8859-1 (Latin1)
> > 	so that, say [Alt]-i will produce an e-aigu?  I think that's
> > 	e-acute.  I have it partlyworking in regular xterm.  I can
> > type the string
> >
> > 	% cafe
> >
> > 	with the final e being  hex-e9 and I get
> >
> > 	"zsh: command not found: \M-i"
> >
> > 	which makes sense.  It would be nice to see the cafe echoed
> > with the aigu over the e, but whatever.  On both the Gnome Terminal
> > 	and the KDE Konsole, zip, nada, nothing.  I've tried
> > "Setttings" for the Konsole terms. No joy.  I don't know where to
> > mouse and click for Gnome.  Oh,and most of the time in vi no Latin1
> > chars.
>
> Gary,
>
> If you run
>
>   % xterm -lc iso-8859-1
>
> you will get what you want, i.e. ISO-8859-1 terminal in UTF-8
> environment and Alt+I will produce "é". Please read xterm man page for
> more explanation on -lc and -en. See also luit(1).
>
> If you really want to change the locale of Gnome/KDE/Xfce from default
> UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1 (not recommended), then you should appropriately set
> LANG and LC_ALL variables in ~/.xinitrc.

	Nikola,

	Thanks for the clue re xterm.  I'm still using CTWM most
	places and use xterm exclusively.  Sometimes I've been able to
	use 8859-1 in vi, sometimes not.  Never read the man page (hanging
	my head).  OTOT, I do have the LC* variables set ... else perl
	complains.

	...It's time to join the 20th century:)

	gary