Date:      Sun, 03 Jul 2016 18:27:45 +0200
From:      Mathieu Arnold <mat@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: what to do when base openssl isn't suitable

--==========70ACDE498DEC41B78BB9==========

+--On 1 juillet 2016 11:59:18 -0700 Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
| I've got a port that does not work with base openssl because it looks
| for libssl.pc.  Other than that, I don't think it is picky about what
| flavor of ports ssl is installed.  Because the default version of ssl
| still defaults to base, I don't see a way to get this port to build on
| the cluster, so there is no way to provide binary packages.  That's a
| problem for end users because this port has bunch of huge build
| dependencies.  Thoughts?

Right now, you put int he port's Makefile (it always was wrong to do so,
but so many are doing it...):

USE_OPENSSL=yes
WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=yes

This summer, I'll change the default OpenSSL from base to security/openssl,
and at that point, I will remove all the WITH_OPENSSL_PORT for a check with
SSL_DEFAULT (that will get the port ignored if it the wrong SSL is used.)
It needs some work WRT GSSAPI to make sure a sane default is choosen if
building with ports openssl.

And then, in the near future, I'll remove support for base openssl and
gssapi in the ports tree, so that everything is always built with ports.

--
Mathieu Arnold
--==========70ACDE498DEC41B78BB9==========

--==========70ACDE498DEC41B78BB9==========--