Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 23:20:39 -0400
From:      "Clarence Brown" <clabrown@granitepost.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FW: smbmount

I'm interested in the same thing, but haven't configured it yet.
I've found the following:

Search the archive, somebody recently finished a smbmount, and a
ncpmount (that's netware) Which I think is in the 4.0 product.
I haven't upgraded to 4 yet, but I plan to so I can try this.

SharityLight in the ports. It's limits are (I think) that it
allows connection to only a single share per server, and no
encrypted passwords.

Sharity full version, (follow the company link from description in
ports) does not have these limitations, but of course you have to
buy it.

Here's a copy of a message that addressed this smbmount:
snip.......
>>On Fri 2000-06-02 (05:47), Jim Freeze wrote:
>> >  There is
>> > also someone working on an smbmount for FreeBSD (already exists for
>> > Linux) that will let you mount Windows shares on your FreeBSD box.
>>
>> What is this project and do you know when it wil be available?
>
>Boris Popov - bp@FreeBSD.org
>
>I've helped him with a tcpdump or two, and it works nicely here:
>
>(nbm@monster) /# mount_smbfs -I data1 -U nbm //data1/shared /mnt
>Password:
>(nbm@monster) /dev# mount -t smbfs
>/NBM@DATA1/SHARED on /mnt (smbfs)