Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 00:43:23 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Holtor <holtor@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DES & MD5?

In message <19990615025002.24925.rocketmail@web105.yahoomail.com>
Holtor writes:
: Hello guys. I've been using DES on all my servers
: but i'm thinking of converting to MD5 since it
: seems to be more secure?

Are you using yp? If not, then there likely isn't much difference
between the two.  MD5 was used as a replacement for DES when the des
routines were export controlled.  Since no one but root can grab the
encrypted passwords, you'll gain nothing by moving from one to the
other.

If you are using yp, then someone who is listening to the network can
still run a directory attack on the encrypted passwords.  If you are
sending passwords in the clear over the net, then the attacker can
grab them like that...

Warner