Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 15:54:06 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ricoh RL5C475 PCI-PCMCIA adaptor and interrupts

Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com> probably said:
> Peter Radcliffe wrote:
> > You're using the same IRQ for the pcmcia bridge and the pcmcia card.
> > You can't do that.
> >
> > Change the list of available irqs in the pccard.conf file you're using
> > to exclude 11.
>
> I don't understand how this can be the case. The PCMCIA card plugs into a
> PCI card, and the PCI card only has one interrupt line. Therefore if the PCI
> interrupt is routed to IRQ 11, the only interrupt available to the PCMCIA
> card is IRQ 11.

Wrong.

I don't claim to know all the details of how this hardware works, but
I do know that you _cannot_ share the IRQ between the pcmcia bridge
and the pcmcia card and that the pcmcia card certainly can use other
IRQs;

  pcic0: <Intel i82365> at port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000 irq 10 on isa0
  pcic0: management irq 10
  pccard0: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0
  wi0: <WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11> at port 0x240-0x27f irq 5 slot 0 on pccard0
  wi0: Ethernet address: 00:60:1d:f0:d8:63

This configuration works perfectly for my laptop and is how I've set
up a dozen other machines.

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu