Date:      Fri, 5 May 2017 15:52:43 -0400
From:      Mylan Connolly <mylan.connolly@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intel Kaby Lake Support

Hello all,

Before I start, I want to mention that I am quite new to FreeBSD (although
I have been using Linux for quite a long time).

I decided to try out FreeBSD 12-CURRENT because of how new my hardware is
and 11.0-RELEASE was unable to detect any of my networking interfaces.

I have a laptop (Alienware 13 R3) which has an Intel 630 GPU. I attempted
to get it working by loading the i915kms module and then starting X (using
startx with XFCE4 set up), but X was using the scfb driver (which I think
is the UEFI frame buffer driver?).

If I create a file `/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/intel.conf with the following
contents, X is unable to find a screen:

    Section "Device"
  Identifier "Card0"
  Driver     "intel"
# BusID    "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

So it kind of looks to me like my chip isn't supported by the driver out of
the box yet (I understand Kaby Lake is still quite recent, so it's
understandable).

Right now I have the following X video drivers installed:

    xf86-video-intel-2.99.917.20170228
    xf86-video-scfb-0.0.4_5
    xorg-server-1.18.4,1

If anyone has any tips to help me out I'd really appreciate it. If I need
to provide additional information I'd be glad to, just don't know exactly
what all is necessary at this point.

Thanks!