Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 14:58:33 -0500
From:      John Woodruff <jjw@admin.us.net>
To:        jjw@admin.us.net
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrom.com bandwidth limits

John S. Dyson wrote:
> It is not likely to get that much due to protocol overheads, but I
> have seen >160KBytes/sec on a good T1.  Don't T1's do bit stealing
> for signalling (I forget?)

The signaling was on the extra channels that the Extended SuperFrame
format provided.  The old-style SF used 1/24 (?) of the bits for clock
sync; the new ESF used three of those for signalling and the Facility
Maintenance Link.  This is the SF/ESF switch (aka D4/ESF).  Unless
I'm wrong, SF/ESF doesn't affect the bandwidth available at the V.34
(V.32?) plug.

Dennis wrote:
> The problem they face is that there is a specific one's density
> requirement when pushing bits over the wire; if you have too
> many zero bits in a row, then the T1 span will blow it's clocking.
>
> So, some really stupid CSU/DSU's will format the data where they
> "force" every 8th bit to a one.  This is how you end up with 1344
>  kb/s of bandwidth.

I understand that form of "bit stealing" allows you to use non-B8ZS
lines, where the ones-density requirement exists.  This is derived
from the way D4 banks encoded voice - there is never a string of that
many zeros.  These DSU's force in some extra ones, and the result is
that you end up with 1344 Kb/s.  This is the AMI setting on your
DSU - it enables the bit-stealing stuff.

On B8ZS-enabled links, they use a "double pulse" to encode the
zeros that would otherwise cause the reciever to lose sync, so
you can really use all the bits (aside from the SF/ESF framing).
This is an added hardware capability that has to be in every line
amplifier along the span, not just the end cards.

> The other more common way to do this is to observe that most modern
> uses of T1 spans for data transmission use HDLC bit-synchronous
> framing these days. If the DSU inverts the data coming in, then the
> HDCL framing will ensure adequate one's density on the T1 span.
> In this instance, you get to use all 1536 kb/s of capacity
> (64kb/s*24 channels) of the T1 span.

I was unaware that inverting the data had any effect.  Since just
about eveything I know about uses HDLC, are you saying that just by
inverting the data I can use an AMI span (and don't have to mess
with ensuring it's B8ZS-clear)?  Now *that'd* be useful info!

Dennis probably knows all about this, considering what ETINC builds
for a living.  Perhaps he'd clear up any misconception's I've voiced
here...
--
John Woodruff, Sr. Network Engineer, US Net - 301-361-USNET
Washington/Baltimore/Richmond ISP - $6.95/month for full PPP!