Date:      Wed, 08 Mar 2000 10:10:38 PST
From:      "Jerry Lei" <tylei@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   No sound III

Hi,

Unfortunately, I have "No sound III". The sound problem bother me almost two
weeks. I will tell you the detail.

I tried ./MAKEDEV last evening. then I got additional devices:
sndstat, midi, music, sequence and mixer. When I set command parish# mixer,
the error message is "Device not configured". When I launched xmcd after I
put a music cd in cd-rom, I got a long beep through pc speaker(the one
embeded in PC chassis), and my X desktop windowmaker halt.
I used Ctrl-C to stop xmcd. I reboot, I checked the sound device list when
it booted up. The result is

sb_reset_dsp failed
sb0 not found at 0x220
sb_reset_dsp failed
sbxvi0 not found
sbmidi0 mot found at 0x330
awe0 at 0x620 on isa
AWE32: not detected
joy0 at 0x201 on isa

I believe my SB 16 VibraC is on irq5 port0x220 dma channel1, sbmidi ison
port 0x330, and another dma channel used by SB is dma 5. Because I have two
OS on the same machine, one is WIN98, another one, of course is FreeBSD33. I
check my sound card under win98 to get those value. I set the values as
above when I built my own kernel. I even tried to set "device pcm0" instead
now what I set

controller snd0
device sb0 at isa? port0x220 irq5 drq1 conflicts
device sbxvi0 at isa? drq5
device sbmidi0 at isa? port0x330
device awe0
device pca0

in kernel configuration file. Then, pcm0 is also not found.
I am totally lost in set a SB 16 vibraC.

If my description is not clear enough, please give me a email to ask me
question. Can you give me more suggestion? Thank you.

Lei