Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 11:22:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/share/mk sys.mk

On 31-Aug-01 Alexander Langer wrote:
> Thus spake David O'Brien (obrien@FreeBSD.ORG):
>
>> Reviewing the thread I see you made a switch from talking about
>> ports.conf (which I was still talking about) to etc/defaults/make.conf.
>
> Ah, yes.  I'm sorry.
>
>> I am not sure I am the only one that did not know we were changing the
>> topic of discussion.  I saw another surprised reply to your commit.  I am
>> asking that you verify the concensis you thought you had to make sure we
>> all knew what your desires were.
>
> Ok, thanks for doing this, David.
>
> Has anyone strong objections against the removal?  I can of course
> back it out, if there is general agreement.
>
> If not, there is my current plan:
>
> - Teach /usr/src/Makefile's $(MAKE) variable about a world.conf file
>   which is included for /usr/src builds.  This needs extensive testing.

The only problem with this is that then world.conf isn't used for one-off test
builds.  I..e, I do 'cd /usr/src/usr.bin/foo ; make' and world.conf isn't used.
I think you should just leave /etc/defaults/make.conf where it is for now and
focus on getting ports.conf done and working on the world.conf problem (I don't
think doc uses anything in make.conf right now).  When those are done,
make.conf will be a very small file, and then at that point you can either axe
it or move it somewhere else.  I would wait to mess with make.conf though until
you've finished the other tasks.  Don't put the cart before the horse. :)