Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:46:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: chat tool?

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> Chuck Robey wrote:
> | I am trying to fit myself into the new gnome, and have a couple of
> | questions.
> |
> Rebuild mozilla and/or mozilla-devel, and make sure the "Enable the
> Chatzilla IRC module" in the config dial is checked, and that you do not
> have WITHOUT_CHATZILLA defined anywhere in your environment or in
> /etc/make.conf.

OK, I have my chatzilla back, thanks.  I wonder why they don't make it
available separately like the mailer?  Ah, well, they are busy with their
own paths.

> | The second question is, how do I change the gnome menus so that more of
> | the brosers are on it?  Right now, the only browser it's offering me is
> | mozilla, and I would REALLY like firefox, epiphany, and galeon to be there
> | also (maybe not mozilla-devel anymore).  I'm also going to be interested
> | in adding something to access chatzilla, once I find out how to get that
> | again (there must be some way!)
>
> Epiphany should be added automatically under Internet->Epiphany Web
> Browser.  Firefox should also add a menu option automatically.  Mozilla
> and mozilla-devel will only do so if you check the "Add mozilla to the
> GNOME menu" checkbox.  Note: if you're not using FAM, then you may need
> to restart GNOME after installing those applications.

That last was quite interesting, so I immediately began to read the fam
man page.  Looking at it, various applications need to ask fam to monitor
things, and it will do that, but it's meant to be installed somehow with
gnome, and I don't know how to notify gnome to begin working with fam.

It's not as simple as just starting fam in the background, is it?  I
thought it really ought to be started by /etc/rc.conf, or I guess more
corectly /usr/local/etc/rc.d/fam.sh, but I didn't see anything like that
there.  If you recommend it, I could do that.  I just want to know how it
works with gnome, is all.