Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 1997 12:57:34 +0100
From:      Chris Samaritoni <csamarit@ucsd.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Controlled bandwidth sharing

We have at our disposal for outgoing bandwidth:

. a router with a dedicated T-1 @ 1.5mbps (flat rate $$)
. a 10baseT switched port on a shared OC-3 (metered rate $$)

Currently we are on the switched port -- current bandwidth requirements are
about 1mbps sustained and about 8mbps burst. Our provider wants us to move
to a T-1, but we'll lose the nice burst capacity if we move to the T-1.
Ideally, we'd like:

. first 1.5mbps routed to the T-1
. additional bandwidth routed to the switch when needed

I talked to our provider, and they said we should look for a software
solution. I'm guessing that what needs to be done is have FreeBSD's default
router changed dynamically (many times per second?) to adjust for bandwidth
conditions. We want to take advantage of the flat rate T-1 as much as
possible so we don't have to pay very much on the metered switch.

Any ideas?

Chris Samaritoni
chris@ucsd.edu