Date:      Wed, 04 Dec 2002 02:32:55 -0600
From:      "Franklin Pierce" <franklin_pierce@operamail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Removing sendmail and getting roots mail

----- Original Message -----
From: Tim Peters <tim@lost.net.au>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 16:28:03 +1030
To: Grant Cooper <grant.cooper@nucleus.com>

> On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 08:13:44PM -0800, Grant Cooper wrote:
> > If I remove sendmail will that stop root from getting roots security reports?
>
> Yes, unless you install a different MTA (qmail, postfix etc) and
> configure it correctly.
>
> If all you want to do is prevent incoming smtp connections, just use
> sendmail_enable="NO" in /etc/rc.conf.
>
> -tim

If you just want to shut off sendmail, you merely have to put:
sendmail_enable="NONE" in /etc/rc.conf
This will make periodic unhappy.  However if you add a file called /etc/periodic.conf and put the lines:

daily_output="/var/log/daily.log"
daily_status_security_output="/var/log/daily.log"
weekly_output="/var/log/weekly.log"
monthly_output="/var/log/monthly.log"

in it, you can still read said status reports in those files AND periodic won't whinge the night away, blatting stupid error messages up on your ttyv0 (not that error messages are a bad thing, per se) AND you won't have lovingly crafted emails from your computer telling you how much it loves you every morning at 03:00, although I can clearly see why this isn't the default behaviour.

Anyway, it was all the abolitionists fault that the secessionists got so peeved.

Love,
Franklin Pierce