Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 11:18:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Onofrio Schiavone <onofrio@colba.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Onofrio Schiavone wrote:

> Hi! To Whom it my concern,
>
>       I need help in installing Free BSD on my computer.  I have a pentium
> with a 2.4G hard drive.  The principle operating system running is Win95.
> I've partioned the hard drive in the following manner,  C: 300M, D: 200M,
> E: 250M, F: 250M, G: 250M, H: 250M and I: 925M.  Win95 has been installed
> on C:.  All the partions have been  MS-DOS formated.  I would like to
> install the Free BSD operating system on the I: drive.
>
>       Does the I: drive need to be MS-DOS formated?

No; in fact it must be completely deallocated so that it is unpartitioned
space.  FreeBSD uses it's own slice type.

> I bought the CD-ROM version of FreeBSD 2.2.2 .  I have CD-ROM drive
> installed, so I intend to install it from the CD-ROM drive.
> Furthermore, I would like to able to switch from UNIX to Win95 and vice
> versa with no problems.

You should be OK, as long as your BIOS has got around the 1024 cylinder
limit.

>       Please forward me your instructions by e-mail, it would be much
> appreciated.  Please also be as articulate as possible and do not miss
> any steps, I might get lost.  Tell it to like I'm a 2 year old.

Can't go that far, but I can direct you to
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html and INSTALL.TXT on the
CDROM for starters.