Date:      28 Mar 2002 07:42:22 -0800
From:      Anthony Green <green@redhat.com>
To:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Cc:        Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [press@apache.org: PRESS RELEASE: ASF Reaches Agreement with Sun to  Allow Open Source Java Implementations]

On Wed, 2002-03-27 at 22:42, Bill Huey wrote:
> IMO, from looking at all the HotSpot/JVM internals over this year and a
> half time frame, that's impossible for an open source group to commit
> the necessary resources to create a useable J2SE clone. You need too
> many domain experts with too long term a focus to complete each
> subsystem.

I think the libraries are the real problem.  Not only is the immense
size of the libraries a problem (they grow with each release), but they
aren't documented well enough to clone 100% reliably.

That being said, and at the risk of beating a dead horse, I think the
gcj project has been very successful.  You can certainly build and run
many useful applications with it today (or... at least with the coming
3.1 release, which will be real breakthrough release), and it works well
on longish list of target systems.  Leveraging off of the good work of
the GCC project was smart, as was getting the FSF to cooperate on
runtime libraries (they changed the GNU Classpath license to a more
liberal GPL + an exception allowing static linking of the library with
no further obligation from the user).

The performance of the resulting binaries is good.  It's competitive
with state-of-the-art JIT systems.  Meaning... sometimes faster,
sometimes slower.  When it's faster, it can be much faster.  For
instance, certain crypto operations used in SSL can run 10x faster than
state-of-the-art commercial JITs.

And start up times are always much faster.  I've installed the Rhino
javascript interpreter as /usr/bin/js.  It really starts up incredibly
quickly, making it a practical alternative unix scripting language (and
100% open source).

And, finally, we get some relief on memory usage as well because we
build _shared_ libraries out of the enormous java core libraries as
opposed to each process JITting it's own copy of the code.

I guess that's enough evangelism for one day :-)

AG