Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 19:47:12 +0100
From:      Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>
To:        David Kirchner <davidk@accretivetg.com>
Cc:        David Taylor <davidt@yadt.co.uk>, Freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: allow selective RSA AUTH in sshd setup?

David Kirchner wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, David Taylor wrote:
>
> > Easy enough
> >
> > # mkdir ~user/.ssh
> > # touch ~user/.ssh/{authorized_keys,config,random,etc,etc,etc}
> > # chown root:usersprivategroup ~user/.ssh
> > # chmod 750 ~user/.ssh
> > # chown user:usersprivategroup ~user/.ssh/*
> > # chmod 640 ~user/.ssh/*
> > # chown root:usersprivategroup ~user/.ssh/authorized_keys
> >
> > SSH even seems happy to have a root-owned authorized_keys file...
>
> And then chflags schg .ssh so the user can't rename and re-create the .ssh
> directory.

indeed... that'll be the important bit! however, i'd still rather just
get notified of an important security change by my regular security
checking script than have to enforce policies that may not be
appropriate for all users/machines.

cheers,
Adam
--
Adam Laurie                   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755
A.L. Digital Ltd.             Fax: +44 (20) 8742 5995