Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 21:56:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        freebsd@isvara.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Source changes

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998 freebsd@isvara.net wrote:

> How can I change some source for FreeBSD and submit it to the current
> tree?
>
> Eg. I need to modify the source for the vx (3com Etherlink 3c905) driver
> to support the new 3c905B NIC. Do I use cvsup? (I don't know how to use
> this).
>
> Can someone explain to me? After all, It'd be a shame to waste all this
> enthusiasm!

The usual way to handle this is to:

1.  Upgrade to and begin tracking -current with cvsup.  This is explained
in detail in the Handbook.
2.  Make your changes.
3.  Test test test and test some more.
4.  Once you're confident the changes won't kill everyone's computers,
submit your diffs using the send-pr utility or web form, or posting to
bugs@freebsd.org.
5.  Backport to 2.2.x if desired.

If you run into questions/problems consult hackers@freebsd.org.  I
recommend subscribing to either the digest or set up a mailfilter to pipe
hackers mail to another folder (hackers is a high-volume list).