Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:30:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@UU.NET>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Louis A. Mamakos": kernel networking features contribution..

<<On Wed, 13 Jan 1999 00:50:43 -0500, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@UU.NET> said:

> The good news is that I've got approval from my management at UUNET to
> contribute this software to the FreeBSD project.

Great, and let me apologize for not responding to your earlier message
-- it got buried deep in the last few weeks' stack of mail.  This
sounds a lot like something I would have liked to have built a few
years ago when I was still working on integrated-services stuff....

> The timestamp (and other status and control info) is stored in 3 32bit
> integers in a modified struct pkthdr inside an mbuf.  In a related change,
> the default mbuf size was increased from 128 to 256 bytes to avoid
> any unfortunate side effects for protocols (e.g., PPP) that assume they
> have so-much space available in the first mbuf which would have been 12
> bytes smaller.

That's fine; I've been thinking that we should do this for some time,
regardless.

-GAWollman