Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 2004 08:45:28 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "David E. Meier" <dev@eth0.ch>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Remote backup hosting setup?

Hi Eric,

we are currently developing a small program/service for our customers
exactly for this purpose.

To just backup the data to a remote server is very easy, even on Windows:
Use cygwin. It comes together with rsync and ssh. I recommend you use
rsync since it is the most effective AFAIK and the transfer is safe (not
unimportant to law companies). Then you could run a nightly task to backup
the data.

We also found that revision the data on the backup server could also be
very helpful using rsnapshot. This tool is actually intended for backups
between UNIX/Linux boxes, however, you can also run it locally. It creates
full daily backups with the storage need of an incremental backup while
using links to unchanged files.

Cheers. Dave.