Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 09:17:37 +0100 (MET)
From:      cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
To:        Andreas@wavehh.hanse.de, Klemm@wavehh.hanse.de, <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org, jkh@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-current-stable ???

As I am the one who is named here, let me just clarify what my
position is.

I couldn't decide whether running NetBSD or FreeBSD is the better
system for my work. I wrote down some of the experiences and made them
available by WWW. In this document, I explained that one reason I
feel more comfortable with NetBSD for now is that I can have one
machine running -current for production use. Every problem I encounter
can be fixed on that machine and the fix can be brought back into
-current (actually, the NetBSD community is quite active in those
system parts I encounter problems in and most problems are fixed
before I get my diffs ready).

Or in other words, NetBSD makes it easier to engage in a useful way
without investing too much time, while engaging in FreeBSD would
require more work (but possibly pay back more).

I think the way FreeBSD organizes things by now is just right for
their (your, our) needs. Having only one source tree as NetBSD does
(ok, sort of) is not an option because much more modifications are
done and one experimental vehicle is needed. I don't see how having a
third source tree could help, since I can't imagine a mechanism to
keep the "middle" one (that one that could qualify for production use)
to the stability that is needed. The NetBSD way of organizing
development just doesn't fit what I think FreeBSD is.

The URL of the comparison is

http://www.leo.org/pub/comp/os/bsd/cracauer/

The document is available in German language only. I consider the
German version a "beta test", with the options of either translating
it after some people looked over it or to remove it if I have to take
too much heat.

BTW, I'm just snarfing FreeBSD-current to get an own impression of how
stable it is. I'm pretty sure, though, that it is usable, but not as
usable for a production system as NetBSD-current is.

Happy Hacking
	Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>  -  Fax +49 40 522 85 36