Date:      Wed, 14 May 1997 20:15:11 +0000
From:      "Keith Spencer" <bsd@smmc.qld.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Install queries...I drew breath &....

Hi all,
Well, I tried to install (I thought a little fore-armed) and ....I
have got a few problems. Would  you mind helping me ?

My system is
	Intel pentium 120, 32 Mb Ram,
	1.1 Gb IDE ( 450Mb Dos partition & rest for bsd)
	Mitsumi CD, 1.44M Floppy,
 	Display IRQ 9, 03C0 - 03DF
	Mouse on Com1, Modem on Com2
	Lpt0 & Lpt1 (bsd speak!)
	Kingstone DEC 21040 type PCI eth card
       	SB 16 Creative compatable Sound card IRQ 5, 220 & up I/O

What I am trying to achieve...
I want this machine to be a gateway (router) for  a 20 machine LAN
I want it to dial in to my ISP at 33.6 k
I want it a web server on it (Apache will do)
I want it to route through to my ISP  for the LAN so I can use Win
e-mail & web clients.

At the moment I have the bootmanager working ok (neat trick that)
I was able to install with conflicts removed...some netcards or
something cause the CD and mouse to have conflicts.
I went through all processes involved in install with the NOVICE
install option. BUT

 I encountered things I didn't understand....

a) Do I want to be an NFS server or client? What is it ? Do I need
    it?
b) Setting up Apache, must I type in the hostname, or will it fetch
it from the conf somewhere and return the FQDN. i.e. is this option
only to define something other than the default?
What do I put in for the Default user & Group? At the moment it has
"BIN" in these fields by default (what does that mean?)

c) I chose network interface option. I wished to set up PPP on com2
(the modem) I put in my relevant ISP info. It then told me to use the
PPP utility to connect. I don't understand why I am asked to do this.
The help seems to read as though it is so I can install bsd through
PPP! I am doing a CD install.
Do I ignore this section and follow userPPPinstall in the docs later?
If not, I don't understand how to use the cli ppp I am confronted
with.  quit = lock up I found!...Is that an undocumented feature ; ^)

d) After reboot I was unable to login in as the user I created.
I told it I wanted to be in group wheel ...is that right?
I did (or thought I did) everything correctly (as best I could
understand help) I don't really understand the group thing (NT4.0
let's talk groups...bsd..groups = ???). In fact I stumbled across the
user id "root" which let me in without password!! (oops)
I had set the system root password in install. But it didn't
understand (I tried my user login i'd created & would have su - to
root but I couldn't get in.

e) I chose to install Squid 1.1 but when I first booted (encountering
the above hassles) It kept interrupting the screen in a loop of 3 or
4 lines...complaing that squid shouldn't be started as root etc etc.
Whoa...what does that mean & how can I avoid it? It did this even
befor login was allowed to be attempted

Hope this makes any sense at all. I is a bit  vague to me ( I am
trying to understand...I do tend to read docs but am too new to this
alien and hence "Bill Gates unfriendly" world)
Thank you so much in advance

Keith Spencer
Teacher...St Margaret Marys College
Townsville Australia