Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:41:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Wei Weng <wweng@stevens-tech.edu>
To:        Charlie Roots <root@isis.dynip.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ppp?

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Charlie Roots wrote:

> You seem to be having a problem with the FreeBSD
> recognizing your modem, this can eaily ruled out by the
> following:
>
> 1. when rebooting the kernel you must notice the lines
> describing sio0, sio1, sio2, sio3
> these correspond to COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4
> respectively.
>
> you don't have to reboot to watch this, instead issue
> the following command;
>
> dmesg | grep sio
>
> you should get output like this;
>
> sio0: at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
> sio0: type 16550A
>
> sio1: at 0x2f8-02ff irq 3 on isa
> sio1: type 16550A
>
> sio2: SupraFaxModem at 0x3e8
> sio2: type 16550A
>
> if you see your modem then it is recognized.
<snip>
yeah I got like this:
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A
sio2 not found at 0x3e8
sio3 not found at 0x2e8

I have only mouse and modem attached on my serial port. My mouse works
fine if configured as /dev/cuaa0. So, that means I should set up my modem
as cuaa1 if it is recognized by the kernel.

wei