Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 08:09:43 -0500
From:      slittleford@all.org
To:        leegold <leegold@operamail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modem setup

Stephan,
   I agree with Lee, a hardware modem is much easier.  Some people call
these DSP modems.  They cost a whole lot more at the store, so I went to
the local computer junk store (every town has one) and got a couple of
them for 25 dollars.  Look for the Com settings on the card, that is
usually a good sign.  It also helps if you can disable PNP.
-Steve

p.s.  An external modem, although junky is an awesome option.  Even
borrow one.  You can see the lights a flashin' when there is activity on
the port.  This makes it a little easier when you are first learning how
to set it up.  Plus, it is fun to watch (yes, I admit I stare at the
Windows DUN animation in the systray).