Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 11:42:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
To:        Stefan Molnar <stefan@exis.net>
Cc:        Tim Moony <timm@uniqsite.com>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Is ppp compatible with K56flex?

It worked just fine in Windows 95.

Yes, it was during boot.  I added the 0x80 flag to sio3 and saw the phase 3
error. When I commented out the check for phase 3 in /sys/i386/isa/sio.c
and remade the kernel, I didn't get the error (of course), but it
wouldn't work still.  The lines I changed were:

/* EXTRA DELAY? */
        failures[0] = inb(iobase + com_cfcr) - CFCR_8BITS;
        failures[1] = inb(iobase + com_ier) - IER_ETXRDY;
        failures[2] = inb(iobase + com_mcr) - mcr_image;
        DELAY(10000);           /* Some internal modems need this time */
/*      if (idev->id_irq != 0)
        *       failures[3] = isa_irq_pending(idev) ? 0 : 1;*/
        DELAY(1000);            /* XXX */
        failures[4] = (inb(iobase + com_iir) & IIR_IMASK) - IIR_TXRDY;

The irq was set with a jumper so I know it was correct.  From the answers I got
from the list archives, I assumed that it was a UART problem.  I guessed that
the normal 16550 wouldn't work with the 56k line, so they had developed a new
16550? to run it.  Either that, or it was a 16550 emulation.  (I had posted the
UART info in an message to the list, but I can't find it in the archives.)

Pat

E-Mail: Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
Date: 14-Aug-97
Time: 11:42:02