Date:      Sat, 18 Feb 2012 11:00:05 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: One or Four?

On 02/18/12 10:55, Da Rock wrote:
>>> Recipe for disaster:
>>>
>>> 1. You have a cron-job that pulls down /etc/master.passwd daily
>>> 2. Your cron-job also runs pwd_mkdb after "SUP"ing down
>>> /etc/master.passwd
>> Yes, I agree that this is a recipe for disaster; the reasons not very
>> correlated to disk space, however.
>>
>> Even twenty years ago, handling this via YP/NIS or NetInfo would have
>> made more sense, and nowadays folks would be far more likely to use
>> LDAP as the network user database, instead of pushing system password
>> database changes via SUP or similar replication mechanism locally to
>> individual hosts.
>>
>>> 3. A program fills "/"
>>> 4. cron fires
>>> 5. pwd_mkdb can't generate databases because not enough room on
>>> filesystem
>>> 6. System can no longer be logged into
>> #5 does not imply #6: if pwd_mkdb can't build a temporary version to
>> /etc/pwd.db.tmp&  /etc/spwd.db.tmp, it will exit with an error rather
>> than invoke rename(2) to replace the working version of the password
>> database with something that might be broken.
>>
>> To be very specific, I would expect one to get:
>>
>> "/: write failed, filesystem is full
>> pwd_mkdb: /etc/pwd.db to /etc/pwd.db.tmp: No space left on device"
>>
>>> 7. System is rebooted
>>> 8. Can't log in (not even as root)
>>> 9. Go into single-user mode
>>> 10. No space to work in
>>>
>>> Sure... you can call it an "edge-case," but it's pretty common and
>>> this is only
>>> one of a myriad of ways we can reproduce the problem of filling-up
>>> "/" to cause
>>> major headaches.
>>
>> I've never heard of such a thing happening to a real FreeBSD system
>> in the past decade or more.  The closest match to the issue results
>> in a failure of adduser(8) or pw(8) to add new users, but existing
>> users continued to work fine.
> These are edge cases that _do_ happen - Linux (heaven forbid!) is
> reknown for the all /, and I've been unable to boot properly into it
> with a full disk. I had to use a live disk to rescue it which took
> hours thanks to the $%^&! lvm filesystem.
>
> Its just so easy to run a multi partition as opposed to an all /. And
> how much does it cost/hurt to do it (especially given the inordinately
> large hdd's these days)? Next to nix (pardon the pun :) ). The
> reduction in problems for new users should be an incentive as well.
>
> As for how quickly a disk can fill - I'm an expert :) I can fill a
> terabyte disk in a matter of hours with video and not notice. The
> transfers can be tricky to coordinate seeing as the disk fills faster
> than I can move the large files to another filesystem.
>
> And I haven't even mentioned some of the games that I'm sure a novice
> desktop user will use...
>
> You don't have to necessarily 'hose' the system to render it unusable.
> Just have some obscure program or service that requires something like
> a temp file or the like to stop it from working, and make it difficult
> to find whats wrong.
I forgot to mention that the probable reason you haven't heard of any
such problems on real FreeBSD _is_ because it doesn't use the all /, or
a qualified sysadmin is watching over it.