Date:      Fri, 8 May 1998 04:47:21 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        randal@comtest.com
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Have I left something out?

At 1:23 AM -0500 5/8/98, Randal S. Masutani wrote:
>On  7 May 98 at 21:02, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
>both, the host address is bound to the interface. you cannot separate the two.

>> If a host has multiple interfaces, how do I address a SERVICE on that
>>host is
>> such a way that I get access whenever possible? If I ask DNS for an address,
>> I get the address of an interface (which may be down).

>DNS server could change the entry to the active address(which is on the other
>interface.) I know that there is talk about Dynamic DNS, but I do not know
>when
>or how it will be implemented.

I think that I actually have a scheme that might solve this situation for me.

Since I want to address the HOST rather than the INTERFACE, and the host can
be addressed by ANY of its interfaces, I simply need to chose an address that
is NOT on a DIRECTLY connected network.

That way, the packet, on its way to the interface in question will pass through
the host and be trapped there (at its intended destination).

Thus if host 1 (10.0.1.1, 10.0.6.1) addresses host 2 (10.0.1.2, 10.0.2.2) by
its 10.0.2.2 address, it will always consult the routing tables and find a path
via another host rather than the direct connection.
If all the interfaces are up and working, the shortest path will be via the
10.0.1.2 address and packets will take the expected path.

The only problem that I see is that the reply needs to be addressed to the
far side of the originator (10.0.6.1) so that it does not suffer the same
fate that keeps me from using 10.0.1.2.

The other solution might be to assign the host an address on its loopback
channel and not matching any of its network addresses.

Richard Wackerbarth