Date:      Wed, 01 May 2002 23:48:08 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        kudzu@tenebras.com
Cc:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>, utsl@quic.net, "Andrew P. Lentvorski" <bsder@allcaps.org>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Non-standard root filesystems

Michael Sierchio wrote:
> Ian Dowse wrote:
> > I never said anything about using union filesystems; you can just
> > mount another filesystem directly over /, and it hides the underlying
> > root filesystem.
>
> Covering mounts are also broken, IIRC, with the same cache coherency
> problem.  I may be mistaken, but the problem is with NULLFS, which
> is required for covering mounts.

He's talking a fully covering mount, not a stacking mount.

The coherency issues are particular to the stacking process,
and to the "unionfs", which is a stacking FS.

The "union" mount option, which is handled internally to the FS
framework itself, has different problems.

The main problem with covering mounts is what happens to inferior
mount points, when you cover a mount point higher up in the mount
hierarchy (e.g. "What happens to an already mounted "/usr/" when
you cover over "/"?"), and "slip under" (e.g. "How do I replace,
rather than cover, an FS at a mount point?").

-- Terry