Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 16:51:29 -0700
From:      Randy Smith <randys@amigo.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS Union mounts

Hi all,

Here's the background: I am setting a backup mail server. I want
my main server to keep the files locally but write all of the
changes to an NFS drive at the same time. My backup server should
then be able to read the data from the NFS drive if the main
server goes down.

Here are my questions: Can I setup NFS with a union mount so that
if the server writes to /var/mail to is written to a local copy
that is accessed as /var/mail but is also written to the NFS
server (transparently) as /var/mail?

Can the NFS mount be write only? I want to read from the local
copy but write to both the local copy and the NFS.

I have not been able to find any docs on union mounts for
FreeBSD. (BSD/OS had and option for this.) Is it even possible to
do what I propose?

Thanks in advance.

--
Randy Smith