Date:      Wed, 5 Dec 2001 22:58:57 +0100 (CET)
From:      rupp@coredump.at
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install problem on AS200 4/166

>  > If you mean "for text output", I don't understand. When I boot
>  > into the installation, it works, the kernel boots, and it comes to
>  > copying files. If I could not use TGA in any case, it should not work
>  > that far - should it?
>
> It depends what you mean by "copying files"

After all preliminary setup is done, the setup program starts to
retrieve the distribution sets, extracts them and writes the actual
files onto the disk. Sometime during this process, usually after
several minutes, and never at the same point, the machine freezes.

It's like the input was suddenly shut of with a valve.
"extracting file - extracting file - ex..[dead]"

> Have you actually done 'set console serial' at the >>> prompt, booted
> FreeBSD, and started the installation purely on the serial console?
Yes, then power cylce, and yes, purely on the serial console.

Wolfgang