Date:      Thu, 1 Oct 1998 08:37:40 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        toasty@home.dragondata.com, karl@Denninger.Net, tom@uniserve.com, dnelson@emsphone.com, bright@hotjobs.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Long IDE probes?

> This (like much of the ATA code) calls for a complete rewrite.  Which
> is underway.  But for now, it's difficult to work around it "properly"
> without risking breaking support for older or nonconformant hardware.

Maybe I should chime in here as I'm doing the rewrite :)
I'm dealing differently with the probes now, in fact I dont see the
long delays if the HW isn't there. I simply look for valid regs
at the "known" addresses, and if none is there it fails very
early in the probe. This has the disadvantage that if "strange"
HW is present at those addresses, we will still see a timeout
happening, but in most of the cases it will just work.
Also I dont wait for an ATA (disk) device to time out before I probe
for an ATAPI device.