Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 11:27:05 -0400
From:      "GR Gaudreau" <grgaud@sprint.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or Linux?

My thanks to all of you for your help, much appreciated. I'll check out the
links I was given. And now, to answer Brandon, the master of sarcastic
whit. ;-)

> I believe it is called "Windows" now adays...

And here I was thinking it was called Windoze. Live and learn.

> And you can't do this in Windows?  Wow!

Duh! I *have* been doing it in Windoze. However, unfortunately for me and
millions and millions of others (shades of Carl Sagan!), Billy-Bob's
"product" is about as stable as a drunk on a high wire. I want to get away
from Billy the Borg and his Windoze, which is why I'm asking about Linux
and FreeBSD.

> Unix smoonix, MacOS baby!  My advice to you is get Linux, (SYSV-ish),
> then, attempt to get a REAL UNIX at a later date.

That would be very nice, but I'm on limited budget so a MAC is out of the
question. As for "REAL UNIX", it's far too expensive just to surf the Net
and do some odd word processing... yada yada yada. So, your advice is NOT
to get FreeBSD, but to get Linux?

> XFree86 3.3.2.  Then, get AfterStep for a windows manager (hence, not a
> gui)

Thank you, I'll check out AfterStep. Since I'm not familiar with this X
stuff, I didn't realize that the wm wasn't a GUI. However, I appreciate the
correction. Would it be correct to say that the front-end, the "stuff" I
see on the screen when X-Windows is running, is the GUI?

P.S.	Brandon, I appreciate your advice on the wm thing, really. I hope you
don't take my remarks personally. I went and checked out the AfterStep wn
and it's very nice. Oddly enough, I also liked the wm2 minimalist approach.
Right now for me, it's a toos up between AfterStep, KDE and the fvwm.

--
G.R. Gaudreau
grgaud@sprint.ca

If a man who is mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being
mistaken, or cease to be honest.