Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 19:26 +0100
From:      Kees Jan Koster <dutchman@tccn.cs.kun.nl>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   US Robotics Courier-I questions

Dear questions@freebsd.org,

I'm setting up a firewall with an internal US
Robotics Courier-I. I've got it up and running
quite nicely with userland PPP, but there are
a few questions that remain.

1) Next to my FreeBSD box is a Windows NT box.
It uses the exact same modem, with US Robotics
supplied drivers. Downloading on the NT
machine reaches speeds of just over 7.5k/s,
while I can't get the FreeBSD box over 4.5k/s.
That hurts my pride :-} What am I missing? The
docs say the internal board always runs 230k4,
regardless of selected line speed.

2) On the board there are two jumper blocks.
One with about ten jumpers to set the COM port
and the irq. There is another block of 2x3
jumpers near the center of the board, slightly
closer to the external connectors. The docs
don't mention them. Does anyone know what
they're for?

3) How do I set up this modem to do 128kb
connections?

4) Is there anyone who uses a similar or the
same modem, and who'd like to swap
stories/config files?

Any help is greatly appreciated. The PPPrimer
is greatly appreciated too.

Please CC me, as I'm not on the list.

Thanks,
     Kees Jan