Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 08:17:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, FreeBSD ports list <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: conditionally including <sys/param.h>

On Wed, 5 Feb 1997, David O'Brien wrote:

> Warner Losh writes:
> > In message <19970202135048.PN07710@dragon.nuxi.com> David O'Brien writes:
> > : to get a new cpp symbol added (like __44bsd__ or something).
> >
> > This is a bad idea, since it has lost a lot of its potential meaning
> > with so many 44bsd derived systems that pick and chose between 4.4 and
> > 4.4 Lite 2.
>
> Then what would you suggest?  Are they really more different than all the
> various sysVr4 that define __svr4__?  How close is Solaris, UnixWare, and
> Irix?
>
> I'm just trying to find something that will cover all the 4.4BSD derived
> OS's.  What are the big divergances from each other that __44bsd__
> wouldn't cover (from an application standpoint)?  Remember I'm trying to
> catch things like sys_errlist[], termios, /var/mail, /usr/sbin/sendmail,
> etc.
>
> Everyone will acknowlege that for kernel stuff __FreeBSD__, etc.
> should be used.  But I still think __44bsd__ is fine where we would
> already do the #if (BSD > xyx) test or defined(__FreeBSD__) ||
> defined(__NetBSD__) ,etc.

David, I don't understand why you don't want to use __FreeBSD__,
__NetBSD__, and __OpenBSD__ for non-kernel stuff.  The __44bsd__ thing
doesn't exist, and if you start it, 75% of FreeBSD folks and ALL of
everyone else in NetBSD and OpenBSD will be out in the cold.

I probably misunderstand part, but what functionality will be gained from
adding __44bsd__?  I want to note that the approach I'm pushing works now
for Xfree86 just fine.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |