Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 1996 14:31:21 -0800
From:      "Jay Johnson" <nsx@allinet.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Question

I run a IRC server (irc.icenet.org) and we are currently using Linux
2.0.23, and for some reason our servers are limited to 254 connections. We
tell the server software to go to 500 and linux gives back an error saying
hardconfiged 254 connections. Change your server software back to 254.  I
have talked to alot of people about this and they say linux won't do it, I
was wondering if FreeBSD would ?  I know ftp.cdrom.com has 1200 but not
sure if ftp is the same kinda connection as what im dealing with.  I will
probably get freebsd and try it out on another server before taking down
our irc server.  I have heard that FreeBSD is alot more powerful than Linux
anyway. How does it compare to BSDI or SCO Unix? Anyway any information
about this would be greatly apreciated. Thanks
Jay Johnson -aka- NsX
nsx@allinet.com
http://www.allinet.com