Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:22:13 +0000
From:      RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   gconcat/gbde  DVD encryption problem

A couple of years ago, I created some DVDs encrypted with gdbe. I used 2
concatenated,  file-backed md devices (to avoid the 2GB dvd file limit) and
burned them to dvd. The resulting DVD was accessed like this:

mount  /dvdrw

mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /dvdrw/d1 -u 31
mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /dvdrw/d2 -u 32

gconcat create datadvd /dev/md31 /dev/md32

gbde attach /dev/concat/datadvd

mount -o ro /dev/concat/datadvd.bde  /mnt/dvd

The technique worked fine in  February 2005, with whatever was the latest
release, I haven't used the technique since then until a few days ago,  but
now I'm having a problem with FreeBSD 6.1. After the mdconfig I get "WARNING:
opening backing store: /dvdrw/d1 readonly", which I doubt is the problem. The
failure occurs here:

# gbde attach /dev/concat/datadvd
Enter passphrase:
gbde: Attach to concat/datadvd failed: could not access consumer

The same problem exists on a newly created disk, so it probably not
corruption. And if I copy the two file to hard disk it works.  It just seems
to be a problem when they are on the DVD.

Any ideas on how to fix this. I'm not particularly bothered about the existing
disks, but I'd like to create some new ones.