Date:      Sun, 8 Jun 2008 05:06:55 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, Andrew Snow <andrew@modulus.org>
Subject:   Re: cpufreq broken on core2duo

On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 11:05:44PM +0300, Evren Yurtesen wrote:
> I have tested if it is working or not without using powerd. However you are
> right, SpeedStep in bios seem to be adding some ACPI support which looks
> like kind of broken.
>
> In either case, I get error when I have HTT as powerd (powerd -v) is only
> able to change 1 CPUs speed (obviously). Perhaps this can be fixed in
> future hopefully.

I believe you can only adjust the clock frequency of both CPUs/cores on
Intel platforms.  At least that's how it is under Windows, and under PC
BIOSes.  If you have a CPU that has dual cores, both cores will have
their frequency adjusted.  If you have dual physical CPUs that have dual
cores, any frequency adjustment should apply to all CPUs.

> In the bios, there is also Enhanced C1 support which seems to be reducing
> the vcore voltage at the same clock speed. (is this normal even?)

Enhanced C1 support allows the CPU to go into a deeper sleep state
during idle periods.  I recommend enabling it, even on server systems.
You can safely enable it on systems using FreeBSD.

You might be interested in the utility for Windows called RMClock, which
provides an incredible amount of low-level information about CPUs and
chipsets.  Yes, I know it's for Windows, but if you ever boot Windows,
it's a fantastic utility.

> This is the motherboard (information from the datacenter):
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/PD/E7230/PDSML-LN2.cfm
> Although kenv | grep smbios show PDSBM can this be or the datacenter is wrong?

I can add support for this motherboard to bsdhwmon(8), assuming you can
get me a few pieces of information.  (Edit: Actually, seems you've
already contacted me with this information!  Thanks!)

I'll need to contact Supermicro to get Winbond interface details,
however.  That can take a couple weeks.

> I just went to bios and says 1.264v so I guess it is safe to assume that
> mbmon was showing double.

mbmon is showing you invalid values.  The fact that it's a value that
happens to be double in value is pure chance.  mbmon is not properly
working with your motherboard.  It's that simple.  :-)