Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 1995 19:21:43 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert), wollman@lcs.mit.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel versions and config's rm -rf

> and get back rather quickly.  Others who have not been doing this for
> years simply take the slow, but guaranteed to work way out of rm'ing
> the whole pile :-(.

That's a gross oversimplification.  There are yet others who have no
*personal* problem with futzing the compile directory directly or
otherwise doing any number of wizardly "old timer's" tricks but simply
don't want to deal with the *tech support* problem of other folks not
knowing enough.  When I patched config it wasn't just to prevent from
shooting myself in the foot, though it occasionally helped at that when
I was sleepy, it was to safe the feet of all those users who regularly
wrote to us with "problems" that were the direct and obvious result of
in-place builds that slowly went out of sync and rotted.

					JOrdan