Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:55:47 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Peter Rosa <prosa@pro.sk>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possible compromise ?

--K8nIJk4ghYZn606h

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 05:44:40PM +0100, Peter Rosa wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> please, is there some way to list ALL users, who connect remotely to my
> machine ? It is our gateway, so it should be one-user machine, but if I l=
ist
> /var/log/lastlog binary file, there are some lines showing usage of ttyp0.
> That console I have disabled in ttys, so why there are that lines ? How
> could I make FreeBSD to show that file in readable way ?
>=20
> Was my machine compromised ?

ttyp0 is the first pseudo-tty.  Pseudo-ttys may be created for many
purposes, but the most common ones by far are 1. remote logins (telnet,
SSH, or the like), and 2. utilities such as 'screen'.

If you, or somebody else, has ever opened a telnet or SSH connection to
the machine in question, then FreeBSD would have accepted the remote
login on a pseudo-tty.  The first such login would be on ttyp0, the
second - if there are two at the same time - would be on ttyp1, and
so on.

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net    roam@sbnd.net    roam@FreeBSD.org
If this sentence didn't exist, somebody would have invented it.

--K8nIJk4ghYZn606h

--K8nIJk4ghYZn606h--