Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 1999 11:01:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Jacopo Pecci <jacopo.pecci@erv.ericsson.se>
Cc:        "'FREEBSD'" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   TCP threshold

<<On Thu, 28 Oct 1999 10:58:27 +0200, Jacopo Pecci <jacopo.pecci@erv.ericsson.se> said:

> I have just discovered that every time I start a new socket the value of
> this variable depends on the final value in the previous socket. It means
> that if socket 1 has some drop of packets, the next socket I will establish,
> will have a much lover value of the threshold. WHY? each socket is
> completely independent from the previous, why it should inherit such
> information?.

Because you are connecting to the same destination; the conditions in
the network are unlikely to vary significantly over the (short)
timescale during which the information is cached.  You can disable the
caching by using the `route' command to set a lock on the ``ssthresh''
route metric for the route(s) in question.

-GAWollman