Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 20:15:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        nesi_unanaowo@net.com (Nesi Unanaowo)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Window manager problem.

Nesi Unanaowo wrote,
> Hi,
>     I am still unable to get rid of the default window manager (twm)
> which is making life a little unbeareble with FreeBSD 3.0.

twm rewls. But anyway...

> Just to be
> sure that my distro wasn't the problem (quite unlikely) I went out to
> http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/ and grabbed fvwm2-1.10.tar.gz. I successully
> compiled this package and had the binaries/man pages where they were
> supposed to be.  Thereafter i proceded to create a .xinitrc file in my
> home directory and also copied the sample file that came with the
> package to my home directory as .fvwm2rc. Both files are owned by
> me and have both the read and executable bits set.

rc-files, in general, do not need executable permissions. But that
should not be creating your problem.

> But after rebooting my system ( I didn't think i had to )

A truly gratuitous reboot.

> i logged in
> as myself and started X (startx). I was surprised that the default
> window manager (twm) popped up again. Obviously there is
> something i am not doing right but can't for the life of me figure
> out. I will really appreciate any input as I am getting a little
> frustrated with this exercise. Interestingly though, when i
> do a 'ps' it shows that a process with '/export/home/nesi/.xinitrc
> is running on my system.

Could you show us your .xinitrc?

Are there other programs/settings in the .xinitrc that _are_ being
properly executed/set?

Can you check, or have you checked, the console messages while X is
starting for any errors?

Can you kill twm during your X session and start the other manager?
(You should be able to.)