Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 08:30:22 -0400
From:      "Mark Skurzynski" <mark@lomag.net>
To:        <pine@freebsd.ady.ro>, <kbyanc@posi.net>
Cc:        <ports@FreeBSD.org>, "Mark Skurzynski" <mark@lomag.net>
Subject:   FreeBSD Ports: pine-4.21/cclient-4.7c problem

Hi,

I've recently rebuilt the 'pine4' port since I noticed the new
cclient requirement. Ever since that rebuild, users have been
telling me they are seeing this message:

[Mailbox vulnerable - directory /var/mail must have 1777 protection]

This was never a problem before, i'm not sure whats wrong, however
I can verify that the message is being displayed.

[8:17](root@web)[~]# ls -la /var |grep mail
drwx-wx--x   2 root     mail     1536 Jul 23 08:06 mail

My /var/mail permissions seem ok. All the files inside of /var/mail
are also read/write only to the owner which seems okay aswell.

If we need to go higher up in the tree:
[8:21](root@web)[~]# ls -la / |grep var
drwx--x--x  22 root  wheel      512 Jul 20 13:47 var

Is my permissions for /var which have also never caused a problem
before this.

I see running chmod 1777 makes it worldwritable and readable and
everything for that matter which its really much less 'secure' then
what I have now..yet its complaining at me. Please me know, thanks
guys! :)

 --Mark