Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 1997 23:50:09 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   My first SMP kernel...

I've built my first SMP kernel today, in order to test it a little
before putting the SMP source onto my CD-ROM that's going to be handed
out to the participiants of the GUUG Spring Meeting by end of
february.

My testboard is an older ASUS PCI/EISA dual-CPU board with a Neptune
chipset, running at 90 MHz still.  (The second CPU was actually a 133
MHz one, but that shouldn't matter.)

I've grabbed all the CTM deltas from freefall's ftp area, and checked
out the most recent kernel source.  Well, i didn't get this kernel to
work stable, it crashed all over the place. :-(  At best, it could
get away to run something like `make obj', at worst, i couldn't even
log in since the shell crashed immediately (sig 4, sig 11 etc.).  Note
that this even happened when running this kernel uni-processor, while
the old (3.0-current) kernel.GENERIC ran fine on identical hardware.

The SCSI controller is an AHA2742, but i didn't see SCSI errors, so it
must be more a VM thingie.  I tried to make the SMP options in the
config file as benign as possible (just only SMP, NCPU, NBUS, and the
APIC stuff, no whistles and bells), but still no go.

Is this only me, am i doing something seriously wrong, or is it that i
shouldn't put this source tree onto a CD-ROM at all?

(Please, keep me on the Cc list.)

--
cheers, J"org