Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 2004 21:31:43 +1030
From:      Ian Moore <imoore@picknowl.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        johne edw <johneedw@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: rj-45 connector

--nextPart2195375.juxWvVatio

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:25, johne edw wrote:
> dear sir,
> i've 3 computers and  i want to connect  them togather as a workgroup
> network via a hub. i know that the both ends of cable must have the same
> sequense of color .please advice me if that the color sequence of wires
> connected to rj-45 connector is important or not?..i mean, in another wor=
d,
> is there a special sequense of color ? or any sequense of color will be
> valid when the both ends have the same color sequense ? i wish that
> response will come on soon........best regards

This is rather OT, but...
Yes, the order is important, the cable will probably work at low speeds ove=
r=20
short distances as long as both ends are the same, but will be unreliable a=
t=20
high speeds or longer distances unless you follow the correct order.

Basically there are 2 standards, EIA/TIA-568A and EIA/TIA-568B.
In Australia & probably in Europe I suspect, the preferred standard is the =
A=20
standard. I think the US might use the B standard?

EIA/TIA-568A standard:
1 Green/White
2 Green
3 Orange/White
4 Blue
5 Blue/White
6 Orange
7 Brown/White
8 Brown

(see diagram below for pin numbers)
NB, the Blue pair is reversed - that's not a typo!
Both ends are wired up the same way, BUT, if you want to connect 2 network=
=20
cards directly together without a hub, you would need to use a crossover=20
cable which looks like the above on one end, but the other end is wired lik=
e=20
this:

1 Orange/White
2 Orange
3 Green/White
4 Blue
5 Blue/White
6 Green
7 Brown/White
8 Brown

Pin numbers are like this (looking at the connector with the tab underneath=
=20
and the cable coming from the left)

                   |---------------------------|
                   |                      ---- | 7