Date:      Sun, 6 Aug 2006 20:43:07 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        BSD Guy <freebsdguy06@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rebooting and crashes on dell server

I had a very similar experience with a Dell PowerEdge 2800
recently, not even 3 weeks have elapsed!
The problem, as we realized from some Dell engineer, was with
the firmware on the mobo of this model.
I was running FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE on the box.
I bought HP ML350, migrated the whole setup to it and no problems
even as I speak now!
I am still waiting for a replacement motherboard from Dell (local
vendor) for the 2800.

There is a Dell 2850 that I setup as a server for a client, using
FreeBSD 5.2.1. It's been running rock solid, and the only update
I ever did was to update it to 5.2.1-patch14, which it will never
go beyond, as I see no need.

So, the moral of the story? Put the Dell aside, get a good HP and
sit easy.

-Wash

DISCLAIMER: See http://www.wananchi.com/bms/terms.php

--
    |\      _,,,---,,_     | Odhiambo Washington    <wash@wananchi.com>
   |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'| Tel: +254 20 313985-9  +254 20 313922
  '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)     | GSM: +254 722 743223   +254 733 744121

... I'm IMAGINING a sensuous GIRAFFE, CAVORTING in the BACK ROOM of a
KOSHER DELI!!