Date:      14 Jul 2002 14:47:25 +0100
From:      Stacey Roberts <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
To:        Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: RE: Cannot start bind in sandbox?]

--=-HM1XokQSdLkjIPl8I/GL

Hi Ruben,
   Thanks for the kind reply.

I had a look at the link you provided, and I am inmpressed with the
detail mentioned in there.

However, I am in the (un) enviable position of attempting to convince
others that with the BSD variants, there is at least some conforming to
standardised (RFC's, et al), so the situation is such that I should
really be trying to get to the stage where I can say: "here's the
express procedure for doing x, and this is why we should be going with
this solution.". However, I now find that bind / named isn't as fairly
straightforward, well-documented in FreeBSD as I once thought (hoped).=20

Forgive me for what might be taken as a rant, but as you said: "I had a
hard time finding the right documentation on this as well". So, to me
the obvious questions (left un-answered) are:-
1] Did you find that documentation?
2] If so, where is it?

The stage I'm at for now is a feeling that (as far as DNS & bind is
concerned) on FreeBSD, this is pretty much a skulking around for
"whatever works for me" solution, which is pretty much a show stopper
for this project, I'm afraid - No way I dress this up any which way
other than that.

I'll keep plodding around.., but it looks like the Windows machines
around here are looking safe for the foreseeable future. Thanks again
for taking the time, on a Sunday too:-)

Stacey

On Sun, 2002-07-14 at 14:28, Ruben de Groot wrote:
> [...]
> > Hi,
> >   Not to appear to be targeting you, but can you tell me if the
> > procedure in either of the books., (note that FBSD Unleashed does *not*
> > mention moving anything to the sandbox dir) is indeed *supposed* to
> > work?
> >=20
> > I am hoping to implement as standardized a set-up as possible - for
> > future replication across other machines, so I really would like to get
> > someone's position on this before proceeding with customised
> > configurations / settings.=20
> >=20
> > Strange this, running bind without (my attempted) sandbox configs work
> > fine., it is when I try to secure bind (again, as per the available doc=
> > / books) that errors occur, so this is what I need to get to the bottom
> > of., Failing this, we're looking at keeping DNS services on the Windows
> > boxes - which is the point of looking to a FreeBSD solution.
> >=20
> > Thanks again., shame no-one else is responding to this. I would have
> > thought that many others would be interested in the validity of whta is
> > written and advertised (in some cases) as required reqding.
> >=20
> > Regards,
> > Stacey
> >=20
> >=20
> > On Sun, 2002-07-14 at 12:22, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> > > On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 11:30:42AM +0100, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > > You don't *have* to do that, although it will do no harm.  I tell you
> > > this from very recent experience, as I saw your post and thought "why
> > > aren't I running with my named chrooted?"  The instructions I gave
> > > earlier worked for me, with the addendum that you should also do:
> > >=20
> > >     mkdir -p /var/named/var/run
> > >=20
> > > and then kill and restart named.  That lets you use ndc(8) to control
> > > named(8), but you have to use the `-c' flag to ndc to tell it where t=
> > > find the command channel:
> > >=20
> > >     ndc -c /var/named/var/run/ndc status
> > >=20
> > > To enable the chroot'ed named to log stuff via syslog, you need to
> > > tell syslogd(8) to listen on an additional logging socket within the
> > > chrooted filespace:
> > >=20
> > >     syslogd -l /var/named/var/run/log
> > >=20
> > > 	Cheers,
> > >=20
> > > 	Matthew
> > >=20
> > > --=20
> > > Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       26 The Paddocks
> > >                                                       Savill Way
> > > Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
> > > Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH=
 UK